Wednesday 8 February 2012

Inanimate Objects

Alright, so we've started going back to our original post to take a closer look at the kinds of things that make us socially awkward. One of the first things mentioned was shouting at inanimate objects. But that's not the extent of it. There tends to be a slightly unhealthy attachment to them too.

For example, just this afternoon I was practicing cello, and as I tipped it sideways on my lap to push in the end pin, the scroll (that fancy curl at the top where those pegs go in) just brushed the wall. I immediately started apologizing and saying I didn't mean it. In reality, the cello feels nothing at all, and doesn't have any way of feeling upset at the fact that I had done this. But in my mind, I had just hurt my cello, and that is NOT ok!

I think it stems from having stuffed animals or dolls or action figures as a child. I mean, I know I considered some of my stuffed animals to be my best friends (yes, I just admitted that). I slept with a Winnie the Pooh bear way past the age that would be considered acceptable, and there are still some stuffed animals that I'll pull out to cuddle with or cry into if I've had a particularly tough day. I am just attached.

But that only explains sympathy to my cello to an extent. It doesn't explain why I feel bad just crushing bottles or soda cans without a thought. It doesn't explain why I encourage my shampoo to just give me a little more, because "I know you can do it!" or why I try to comfort my phone after I drop it, saying stuff like "Shhh! It's ok, you're ok. I put your back on again, and you're going to be just fine!"

Do I get strange looks when I "Aww!" at someone's car or even a small tree or something? Of course. But hey, that's part of what makes me socially awkward, now isn't it.

No comments:

Post a Comment