Wednesday 21 March 2012

Weird Word Wednesday!!

Alright kids, today's word? Blurb.

You just go ahead and take a few minutes to really taste that word. Say it as many times as you need to. Enunciated, slow, in a weird voice, 10 times fast... Do what you gotta do.

Ready to keep going? Good.

Why does it seem that every word that contains b's and u's and usually an l sound so odd to me? Am I the only one that thinks that (other than Mariah)? Maybe? In any case, I'm going to talk about it. Deal wit' it!

First of all, who even uses this word anyway? Old people maybe, or those weirdos who say things like "There was a blurb in the paper about that guy who can braid hair with his toes, did you see it?" but really, the majority of people do not use this word. I'd be willing to place quite a bit of money on saying that there is no exact translation for "blurb" in almost every other language in the world.

Secondly, it doesn't even feel like you're saying a word. It just feels like you're making weird noises, like maybe your system malfunctioned and you lost control of language for a second. Try this for me: say the word blurb repeatedly for about a minute, or even 30 seconds will suffice. Think about how you feel now, after having listened to me. You probably feel pretty dumb, seeing as I got you to sound like that. But think about the word now. It doesn't even sound like a real word anymore, does it?! What is that all about?

The last point I want to make has to do with something that maybe only I am afflicted with. Say the word just one more time, but make sure and listen to your voice as you do this. Do any of you say it with a weird accent kind of thing? Because it happens to me every single time and I have no idea where this comes from. Blurb is full of voo doo magic, apparently. The best way for me to describe to you what I sound like is to refer to dear old Nigel Thornberry from The Wild Thornberry's. Remember how he says "Blarghhhh"? If you need a refresher, here's a short clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP4pks9CtSE. Well my pronunciation, god knows why, ends up kind of like that. It kind of sounds more like "Blarb" for some reason. Again, I have absolutely no idea how this happened. Am I completely crazy?? Does anyone else end up with an accent, Nigel Thornberry or otherwise, when they say this word?? Oh dear.

Anyways. There's your Weird Word for this lovely Wednesday. Hopefully these posts aren't ruining your verbal use of the English language. I mean, I sincerely doubt that anyone old is reading this (if you are old, I hope I have not offended you... I have nothing against old people, I promise), and if you're one of those weirdos I mentioned before, well.... Maybe it's for the best that I have (possibly) ruined this word for you. What do you guys think? Am I way off base here, or is blurb really a weird word?

2 comments:

  1. Its weird because when you say it it feel like you are actually blurbing, not just saying it.

    ReplyDelete