Friday 30 March 2012

Fun Food Friday!

Today's fun food is something I am very big on. You know when people ask, "If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?" Well my answer is almost always cereal. There are just so many great things about it.

First of all, you can quite easily put cereal in a plastic baggie and take it with you to school or work for a quick snack. I find it super handy when I'm walking to/from school/work, or even when I'm taking the bus somewhere. Hell, I even take it out in class when I really want it.

That's another great thing, you can eat it with or without milk. Personally, I love milk, so I tend to drown most of my cereals, but really it's good either way. Here's a bit of a fat-kid admission for you: I often will grab a handful of cereal to munch on (munch is an odd word... Weird Word Wednesday, anyone?) while I'm deciding what my actual snack/meal is going to be.

There is a lot of variety when it comes to cereal. I'm just gonna go ahead and use the categories we had in my house while I was growing up. You have your "healthy cereals" like Corn Flakes and Rice Krispies and Cheerios. You've got your really healthy cereals, like All Bran and Muesli (who even eats that anyway? I don't even know what's in it....). And then you've got the gold mine that is "sugar cereals." You have so many options when it comes to this category. Froot Loops, Cap'n Crunch, Count Chocula (never had it, but I love the name), Corn Pops, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Lucky Charms! Walking down the cereal aisle has the potential to be very dangerous. Either I'll want to buy a ton, which is dangerous for my wallet, or I'll have a super hard time choosing, and may end up leaving empty handed, which is dangerous both to my nerves and my emotions.

Here's the thing about cereal. I figure you could actually live off of it quite easily. With milk, you get most of what you need anyway. I mean, you'd need protein (although you do get some in your milk), and there's probably a couple vitamins or whatever that you'd need to take, but other than that you've essentially got what you need. You've got your grain and dairy, and there's quite a few vitamins between the cereal and the milk.. I know I could survive.

I think cereal is completely underrated, and that people need to appreciate it a little more. I mean, think about it. You wouldn't have Rice Krispie squares if the Kellogg brothers hadn't first invented Rice Krispies! Cereal is also fun to eat out of a mug, I find. But that might just be me, because I don't like eating soup out of a mug. Mostly because I don't really like soup... But there's that! And also.. who hasn't done that thing where you take some cereal like Corn Pops (these work especially well) and tossed it to a friend/sibling for them to catch in their mouth? Cereal has the potential to not only nourish you, but entertain you as well!

I just want to emphasize my love for cereal by telling you that I usually go through a box of cereal in a week by myself. If my parents are smart and buy the "Family Size" or "Jumbo Size" or whatever they're called it'll last me longer, obviously, but just a regular box of cereal will last me one week, a week and a half at the most.I mentioned in my post about what to do when you're alone that I eat cereal for basically every meal when I'm left to feed myself. Now you know why!

Look at that, I managed a post that wasn't too confusing for once! Tell me what your favourite cereal is you guys! I am curious about these things!

4 comments:

  1. Wooooow Becca. I love those Sally cereals that come in the bags :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT IS THIS MAGICAL FOOD AND WHY DO I NOT KNOW OF IT???

      Delete
  2. RaisinBran.

    Sweet baby Jesus that stuff is the food of the gods...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm I always just picked out the raisins to get the sugary coating off of them and then tried to get out of eating everything else, including the raisins that I'd taken the sugar off of :P

      Delete